Sold out in NZ
• 'Best in Class': San Francisco International Wine Competition 2016, USA
• DOUBLE GOLD (98 Points): San Francisco International Wine Competition 2016, USA
• BLUE GOLD: Sydney International Wine Competition 2016, Australia
• GOLD: Berlin Wine Trophy 2015, Germany
• Silver: AWC Vienna International Wine Challenge 2016, Austria
• Silver: Spiegelau International Wine Competition 2015, NZ
• Silver: NZ International Wine Show 2015, NZ
Vineyard: Seifried Rabbit Island, Brightwater and Clover Road Vineyards
Sugar at Harvest: 21.2°Brix (average)
Date of Harvest: Mid March - April 2015
pH of Wine: 3.25
T.A of Wine: 7.4g/L
Residual Sugar of Wine: 3.95g/L
Suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans: Yes
Our Rabbit Island Vineyards are situated on a wide river flat. The soil is gravelly sandy loam, which is very sandy and free draining. These vineyards are about 1.5 kilometres from the sea, which helps moderate temperatures.
The Brightwater Vineyard and Clover Road Vineyard are situated 15 kilometres from the coast and are sheltered from the south by the Richmond Ranges. The ‘soil’ is a combination of rocks and boulders which is very hard on the farm equipment, but vital for holding the warmth of Nelson’s sun and for ripening the grapes.
2015 has been a fantastic season in Nelson. An exceptionally light yield (down 40% on long-term average yields) resulted in concentrated intensely ripe fruit and flavours.
In the vineyard, leaves were removed from around the fruiting zone to allow light penetration and air movement around the ripening bunches. Parcels of fruit were picked when flavours, sugars and grape acids were nicely in balance, giving fruit with intensely varietal flavours and a fresh, lasting acidity.
The 2015 Old Coach Road Sauvignon Blanc is powerful and punchy. Intense passionfruit and ripe grapefruit notes with subtle tarragon characters define the wine. Ripe crisp acidity leaves a generous memorable finish.